[wplug] Got bandwidth?

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 15:46:02 EST 2006

On 11/15/06, Michael Skowvron <michaels at penguincentral.org> wrote:

> The network built for the show called SCinet is probably the fastest
> network in the world during it's operation. More than 80 Gbits/sec of
> WAN connectivity is being delivered to the show floor.

Doc Ruby writes, "As reported at GigaOM, 'Infinera has [1 ]bonded 10
parallel 10 Gb/s channels into one logical flow while maintaining packet
ordering at the receiver,' bridging 100-Gbps ethernet over 10 10-Gbps
optical WAN links. Infinera's [2] press release is here. Further from
GigaOM: 'The experimental system was set up between Tampa, Florida and
Houston, Texas, and back again. A 100 GbE signal was spliced into ten 10
Gb/s streams using an Infinera-proposed specification for 100GbE across
multiple links. The splicing of the signal is based on a
packet-reordering algorithm developed at [UC] Santa Cruz. This algorithm
preserves packet order even as individual flows are striped across
multiple wavelengths.' We're all going to want our share of these 100Gbps
networks. The current network retailers, mainly cable and DSL dealers,
still haven't brought even 10Mbps to most homes, though they're now
bringing [3] fiber to the premises to some rich/lucky customers. Are they
laying fiber that will bring them to Tbps, or will that stuff clog the
way to getting these speeds ourselves?" Rumors say that [4] what runs over
Verizon's FiOS is ATM, to support their aspirations for triple-play.

[1] http://gigaom.com/2006/11/14/100gbe/
[2] http://infinera.com/news/2006-11-13.html
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_premises
[4] http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13694432?hilite=fios+atm