[wplug] RE: Don't Use Linux to Repartition Vista

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Nov 2 06:45:15 EST 2006

On 11/01/2006 07:38 PM, Greg Simkins wrote:
> 2.  We did chroot so that root was back on the previously installed
> Linux partition (instead of the live CD)  - well I guess he decided just
> to mount the hard drive.
>     [sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt]
>
> 3.  grub-install to replace the Vista boot loader.  --recheck forces it
> to reread some BIOS file information.
>    [sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt --recheck /dev/sda]

These two steps are inconsistent -- it appears as though you actually
didn't chroot at all, considering that the 'grub-install' run said the
root directory was /mnt.  I'm guessing thats what you meant by the
second phrase in #2.

Frankly, I'm not surprised NTFS has changed (again) in Vista.  The
filesystem called NTFS has been changing constantly since NT, and it's
largely undocumented to the outside world.  Thats why linux tools to
mount and write to NTFS filesystems are always hit-or-miss.  Classic
Red-Queen situation, the linux ntfs utils programmers have to run as
fast as they can, just to stay in one place.

We can defeat gravity.  The problem is the paperwork involved.