[wplug] RE: Don't Use Linux to Repartition Vista

Greg Simkins gregsim at telerama.com
Wed Nov 1 19:38:03 EST 2006

I guess I don't have BitLocker enabled.  Tonight my friend helped me
complete the Dual Boot configuration.

1.  We booted off the Live CD.

2.  We did chroot so that root was back on the previously installed Linux
partition (instead of the live CD)  - well I guess he decided just to mount
the hard drive.
     [sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt]

3.  grub-install to replace the Vista boot loader.  --recheck forces it to
reread some BIOS file information.
    [sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt --recheck /dev/sda]

4.  Tweak the menu.lst file in /boot/grub folder [We put Vista at the top of
the list so it will be the default - sorry, but I could have never figured
these issues out myself.]

The dual boot works fine now.

Greg