[wplug] Don't Use Linux to Repartition Vista

Greg Simkins gregsim at telerama.com
Wed Nov 1 09:31:15 EST 2006

Last night I used a new Ubuntu DVD to install Linux next to my Vista Beta on my new Dell laptop.  Ubuntu helpfully offered to repartition Windows for me and suggested that I leave 65% of disk for Windows.  That sounded good to me so I clicked next and completed the install.  Ubuntu worked just dandy but when I rebooted, Grub did not offer me a windows option.  Since I was at an install fest here at JAARS in Waxhaw NC, I called over an expert who tried to modify the Grub menu to add windows.  He typed in what he had in his grub profile.  The Windows partition was still there, but we got an error when selecting Windows Vista.

Belatedly, I googled Dual Boot Vista Linux and the first article said in red letters: DO NOT resize the Vista partition during the installation of the Linux distribution!

Evidently the new NTFS aint the same as what Linux is used to.  So...I reinstalled Vista.  I guess that is one method for repartitioning your drive.  Now...I need my expert to redo the Grub loader so I can get my Ubuntu partition working.

Anybody working on a Linux installer may want to install a check for Vista.  In spite of complaints, more copies of will showing up soon.

Greg