[wplug] ATI Radeon and S-video - update

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Wed May 31 12:19:15 EDT 2006

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Robert E. Coutch wrote:

> I had it working on an ATi 9200.
> Had to use the ATi binary driver and configure the s-video in X as a second
> device.
>
> Then there's an ATi utility that did the switching - atitvout I think it was.
>
> I had too many problems with the ATi driver and have since switched to an
> Nvidia 6800 based card using Nvidia's drivers.

Well, I got it working, but it's mighty hackish.  Rather than install the
ati drivers, I created a new device in my XF86Config-4 file that specifies
the 'vesa' driver instead of 'radeon', and a new ServerLayout that uses
that device.  Then I get cloning of the screen to both monitors, but only
at low resolutions, and hardware acceleration doesn't work.  Also, it
doesn't seem like I can specify custom modelines with the vesa driver, or
maybe my custom modelines simply don't work (I'm going for an 848x480
resolution, but my modelines just get ignored and I wind up with "No mode
of that name" errors in the log).  So I have to use 800x600 and configure
the TV to chop off the top and bottom of the image.

So now it's working, but I have to restart X to use it. I guess that's
progress..

-Brandon