[wplug] Wi-Fi with linux using WPA2

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Tue May 30 07:11:10 EDT 2006

On 05/29/2006 08:33 PM, Richard Farina wrote:
> Richard Farina wrote:
>> Cameron McBride wrote:
>>>
>>> How does network manager work with WPA2 (personal) security?  I've
>>> googled and found some articles on getting WPA2 to work on linux, but
>>> it all seems kind of hackish.  Has anyone found smoother instructions
>>> / methods (especially with Ubuntu?)
>>>
>>> p.s. simplier the better, this isn't for me specifically.  I expected
>>> to find something dead simple (like wifi-radar or network-admin, but
>>> neither seems to be that simple).
>> hostapd is how to do WPA2.  Works for almost everything.
>>
> just in case you didn't figure it out, I meant wpa_supplicant ;-)

I've found that the interface for wpa_supplicant to be pretty hackish --
editing a file until you get it right.  The documentation on ubuntu is
pretty awful, and the example configurations don't explain what you're
doing.  I just happened across the right configuration for my Apple
Airport after trying things at random.