[wplug] SQL on FreeBSD?

Duncan Hutty dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu
Sun May 28 23:59:57 EDT 2006

Daniel McQuay wrote:

> Actually I don't even have a file called my.cnf in /etc is that supposed
> to be created when mysql is installed. or where to I get a example?

Read your config.log or the Makefile (from the build directory, wherever
the port was built; I forget where this is at the moment:
/usr/ports/database/mysql?) to find out where the port-maintainer in
their wisdom thought things like the datadir and sysconfdir should be.
If you don't understand them, post them so we can.

>     What password did you use?
>     If you build mysql from source, there is no root password until you set
>     one, I don't know whether this is the case for a freebsd port. For
>     example, it may run the mysql_secure_installation(is that the right
>     name?) script for you, with port-maintainer supplied parameters.
>

> So I ran this and I get an error that says:
> <snip>
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
> </snip>
>
> What's that all about? Googling this now!

That particular error message means that the client is trying to connect
to the server over a socket and can't find (or access) the socket at the
expected location. Possible problems: the server isn't running or the
socket isn't located there (again this can be modified at build time or
at runtime on the command line or in the conf file).

Duncan Hutty