[wplug] SQL on FreeBSD?

Daniel McQuay simplebob at gmail.com
Sun May 28 23:39:50 EDT 2006

On 5/28/06, Duncan Hutty <dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Bill Moran wrote:
> > "Daniel McQuay" <simplebob at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Hello list,
> >>
> >>I'm not exactly sure if this a question for this list or MySQL but here
> goes
> >>it.
> >>
> >>I just installed the mysql from ports using this howto (
> >>http://raybdbomb.com/p/mysql-install-on-freebsd.html) and all seemed to
> go
> >>well. I then ran /usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db. And then started
> mysql.
> >>When I try to start mysql with mysql -u root -p and put my password in I
> >>get: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'
> (using
> >>password: YES), but I am able to use mysql -u mysql and get in and mess
> >>around but with limited privileges.
>
> did you run mysql_install_db with --user=mysql?
> after you run mysql_install_db, did it create anything in your datadir?
> If not, verify that permissions are correct.

When I run mysql_install_db --user=mysql, I get an error that says to many
arguments.

(You can check the config.log to determine for sure what directory this
> defaults to, and verify in /etc/my.cnf that it wasn't changed. Remember,
> at least in theory the port maintainer can change the default locations
> for all sorts of things and in practice, they're not likely to leave
> everything at the mysql-shipped defaults.)

Actually I don't even have a file called my.cnf in /etc is that supposed to
be created when mysql is installed. or where to I get a example?

What password did you use?
> If you build mysql from source, there is no root password until you set
> one, I don't know whether this is the case for a freebsd port. For
> example, it may run the mysql_secure_installation(is that the right
> name?) script for you, with port-maintainer supplied parameters.

So I ran this and I get an error that says:
<snip>
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
</snip>

What's that all about? Googling this now!

Duncan Hutty

Daniel McQuay
simplebob at gmail.com
boxster.homelinux.org