[wplug] SQL on FreeBSD?

Duncan Hutty dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu
Sun May 28 23:19:59 EDT 2006

Bill Moran wrote:
> "Daniel McQuay" <simplebob at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello list,
>>
>>I'm not exactly sure if this a question for this list or MySQL but here goes
>>it.
>>
>>I just installed the mysql from ports using this howto (
>>http://raybdbomb.com/p/mysql-install-on-freebsd.html) and all seemed to go
>>well. I then ran /usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db. And then started mysql.
>>When I try to start mysql with mysql -u root -p and put my password in I
>>get: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
>>password: YES), but I am able to use mysql -u mysql and get in and mess
>>around but with limited privileges.

did you run mysql_install_db with --user=mysql?
after you run mysql_install_db, did it create anything in your datadir?
If not, verify that permissions are correct.

(You can check the config.log to determine for sure what directory this
defaults to, and verify in /etc/my.cnf that it wasn't changed. Remember,
at least in theory the port maintainer can change the default locations
for all sorts of things and in practice, they're not likely to leave
everything at the mysql-shipped defaults.)

What password did you use?
If you build mysql from source, there is no root password until you set
one, I don't know whether this is the case for a freebsd port. For
example, it may run the mysql_secure_installation(is that the right
name?) script for you, with port-maintainer supplied parameters.

Duncan Hutty