[wplug] SQL on FreeBSD?

Daniel McQuay simplebob at gmail.com
Sun May 28 22:34:28 EDT 2006

Hello list,

I'm not exactly sure if this a question for this list or MySQL but here goes
it.

I just installed the mysql from ports using this howto (
http://raybdbomb.com/p/mysql-install-on-freebsd.html) and all seemed to go
well. I then ran /usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db. And then started mysql.
When I try to start mysql with mysql -u root -p and put my password in I
get: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES), but I am able to use mysql -u mysql and get in and mess
around but with limited privileges.

I checked out the MySQL documentation and it told me to do: mysqladmin -u
root -h boxster.mydomain.com password "my_new_password", but after I do that
the terminal hands and the only way I can break it is with control z. When I
do that though, it opens another process of mysql but now with mysqladmin
running as root, according to top at the shell prompt.

Oh, and when I run ps auxw |grep mysqld the out put looks like this:

<snip>
boxster# ps auxw |grep mysqld
root    769  0.0  0.1  1440   592  p0  R+   10:31PM   0:00.01 grep mysqld
mysql   473  0.0  0.2  1660  1196 con- I     9:33PM   0:00.07 /bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql --datadir=/var/db/mys
mysql   520  0.0  4.5 56748 26132 con- S     9:33PM
0:13.93/usr/local/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/usr/local
--datadir=/var/db/mysq
boxster#
</snip>

I noticed that --datadir= goes to /var/db/mys and /var/db/mysq but there's
no such directories named mys and mysq. Just in case this was the error I
made both of those directories but I'm suspicious of that.

Has any one every had such a problem or know what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance,
*
*--
Daniel McQuay