[wplug] Wi-Fi with linux using WPA2

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Sun May 28 21:36:31 EDT 2006

Greetings,

On 5/16/06, Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> NetworkManager[1] is your friend.  Also, it automatically notices what
> wireless networks I'm connected to an picks the correct one.  It's even
> smart enough to notice that when it sees my network it should connect to
> that one over the one run by a neighbor called "CMU" (probably because
> they couldn't get their laptop to work on multiple networks).
>
> On ubuntu: sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
>            nm-applet
>
> It's delicious.
>
> --Patrick
>
> [1] http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/

How does network manager work with WPA2 (personal) security?  I've
googled and found some articles on getting WPA2 to work on linux, but
it all seems kind of hackish.  Has anyone found smoother instructions
/ methods (especially with Ubuntu?)

p.s. simplier the better, this isn't for me specifically.  I expected
to find something dead simple (like wifi-radar or network-admin, but
neither seems to be that simple).

Cameron