[wplug] Xserver debug leads to questions

Brian Sammon wplug-list at brisammon.fastmail.fm
Sun May 28 15:49:33 EDT 2006

> > So, I would kind of like to downgrade to the functional version of the
> > code that I used to run.  Now, xserver-xfree86 is still in the Debian
> > stable distribution, but in the testing distribution xserver-xorg is a
> > dependency for xserver-xfree86.  It seems to me that if I installed
> > the stable xserver then I'd be back to my desired functionality.  Is
> > there an apt-fu way to do that?
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> > Brandon
>
> Absolutely! It's called "pinning", and it's perfect for such situations.

Actually, there may be a simpler solution:
  First of all, to immediately downgrade your xserver-xfree86, simply do:
    apt-get install xserver-xfree86/stable
  Your version of xserver-xfree86 will stay at stable until the next time you
do
  "apt-get upgrade" or explicitly install a different version of X.

Now, if you regularly do "apt-get upgrade" and don't want it to automatically
switch you back to xorg, pinning may be necessary, but it depends on the
specifics of your situation.
For example, if you set your default release (in apt.conf) to Stable/3.1, you
don't need to pin xserver-xfree86 to get what you want.