[wplug] DNS problem?

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Sun May 28 10:52:04 EDT 2006

Morning everyone,

Anyone else having trouble connecting to Gmail/Google sites?

Nslookup/ping work, irc works, & i can connect to most websites but
having trouble with certain websites such as google/gmail, says can't
find host, then after refresh same error, after many refreshes it
works, for each refresh it generates an error in /var/log/syslog
saying "ICMP message type destination unreachable - bad port from
127.0.0.1", i clearned cache in firefox, same problem, this only
manifested in past 24 hours since i did a few "apt-get upgrade"s. here
is list of my running processes -> http://pastebin.com/742796

see anything suspicious? why is rarpd running? i am ppp dialup,
running Debian testing, 2.4.27 kernel

i upgraded from apache to apache2 but i don't see how that would
impact this problem. i connect to ISP with PAP and I do not run local
DNS. When I connect with PPP it places my ISP's 2 nameservers in
/etc/resolve.conf

I seem to recall setting up a loopback address ("lo") but forget what
file this was done in way back when I first installed/setup machine.
Someone said when I upgraded from 2.2.20-idepci kernel to 2.4.18
kernel that uses udev it may have removed this loopback support. Can
someone tell me the name of the file that does this setup and how I
can confirm if it is working. Or is this not relevant to my problem?

regards,
Zach