[wplug] Xserver debug leads to questions

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sun May 28 03:51:35 EDT 2006

Recently I upgraded to Xorg from XFree86 and now I've been noticing some
reliability problems when running DRI-intensive screenhacks from
XScreenSaver.  Finding the proper google phrase ("Xorg DRI hang") reveals
that everybody and their mother is reporting that Radeon cards hang under
the latest Xorg code.  swell.

Also, it doesn't look like x.org has a bug tracking database.  I'm getting
by with Debian's (bugs #351047, 353408, 354221, 345729, etc) for now.

So, I would kind of like to downgrade to the functional version of the
code that I used to run.  Now, xserver-xfree86 is still in the Debian
stable distribution, but in the testing distribution xserver-xorg is a
dependency for xserver-xfree86.  It seems to me that if I installed the
stable xserver then I'd be back to my desired functionality.  Is there an
apt-fu way to do that?

Thanks and regards,
Brandon