[wplug] configuring mon in linux

squeegy-wplug at squeegy.org squeegy-wplug at squeegy.org
Fri May 26 15:18:57 EDT 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Christopher DeMarco wrote:

> On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 02:08:40PM -0400, Jonathan S. Billings wrote:
>
>>> works great for when a system crashes, but it doesn't do anything when a
>>> resource dies or doesn't start.  I have been trying to setup mon to
>>> handle the individual resources like apache, but the docs aren't alot of
>
> I've written custom monitor and action scripts for mon; it's pretty
> straightforward beginner-level Perl.  If you like I can forward you
> some of the stuff I've done.  Or, if you have specific questions I can
> help with those.
>

>> I've used Mon and Nagios, and both have somewhat involved config
>> file editing.  I've heard from other wplug'ers that Cacti is really
>> nice for point-and-click configuraiton.
>
> IMHO mon has some pretty dang simple configuration.  I toyed with
> Nagios but found it to be overkill if you don't need the visualization
> stuff -- OTOH mon provided excellent 'pull switch if big red light
> flashes, else push yellow button every three minutes' scripting.
>
> Similarly with Cacti -- the abstraction provided is great unless
> you're too small (or too diverse) to derive advantage from the economy
> of scale.
>
> Directly to your point, if you've got a specific task which you want
> to accomplish under a detectible condition, mon should be really easy
> to extend.

I am doing what I thought was faitly simple.  I want to monitor http, imap, smtp to begin with.  I have an active/active failover pair.  mailservices on one server and web and fileservices on the other.  My aging cheap hardware crashes periodically.  heartbeat with drbd has been great.  I have noticed apache isn't always running when it should be.  I need to monitor these processes and then restart them, if not failover to the other server.  Heartbeats website recommends mon to handle this level of availability.

Yes I would love whatever you have written that would help me reach my goal.

thanks,

--

Jt Chiodi

http://www.madbanjoman.com