[wplug] configuring mon in linux

Christopher DeMarco cmd at alephant.net
Fri May 26 15:04:06 EDT 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 02:08:40PM -0400, Jonathan S. Billings wrote:

> >works great for when a system crashes, but it doesn't do anything when a
> >resource dies or doesn't start.  I have been trying to setup mon to
> >handle the individual resources like apache, but the docs aren't alot of

I've written custom monitor and action scripts for mon; it's pretty
straightforward beginner-level Perl.  If you like I can forward you
some of the stuff I've done.  Or, if you have specific questions I can
help with those.

> I've used Mon and Nagios, and both have somewhat involved config
> file editing.  I've heard from other wplug'ers that Cacti is really
> nice for point-and-click configuraiton.

IMHO mon has some pretty dang simple configuration.  I toyed with
Nagios but found it to be overkill if you don't need the visualization
stuff -- OTOH mon provided excellent 'pull switch if big red light
flashes, else push yellow button every three minutes' scripting.

Similarly with Cacti -- the abstraction provided is great unless
you're too small (or too diverse) to derive advantage from the economy
of scale.

Directly to your point, if you've got a specific task which you want
to accomplish under a detectible condition, mon should be really easy
to extend.

--
Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net>
Alephant Systems (http://alephant.net)