[wplug] procmail help

Chester R. Hosey chosey at nauticom.net
Thu May 25 19:11:49 EDT 2006

I'm sorry for the delayed reply... It's been a busy week!

Gentgeen wrote:
> Seems to be working good, except for 1 tiny thing with the @comcast.net
> accounts. When a mail comes in from the @comcast.net accounts, I get a
> "greater than" sign that is added to the beginning of the "From
> fetchmail $DATE" line.  This basically messes up the header, and
> produces a really messed up email.  It is not happening with the
> @linuxmail accounts, so I assume it is coming from the fact that we are
> using formail now in there, but not sure what exactly is doing it.
>
> 	(2) /etc/fetchmailrc:
>
>         mda '/usr/bin/formail -A "X-Original-Account:
>         bratzfan7 at comcast.net" | /usr/bin/procmail -d kevin'

Grrr... this is probably the source of the problem. Try making that
"formail -f -A ..." -- I think that formail is adding a "From" header to
satisfy itself. You'll want to do the same on the other Comcast account
listed in /etc/fetchmailrc as well.

All on one line, of course:

mda '/usr/bin/formail -f -A "X-Original-Account:
	bratzfan7 at comcast.net" | /usr/bin/procmail -d kevin'

Then do the same for the other account.

I'd probably trust the formail invocation from .procmailrc, since _all_
mail passes through it, but not all mail is being munged.

> As a side thought... Should/could I put the /home/kevin/.procmailrc
> stuff that forwards mail to val and ariel into the /etc/procmailrc
> file?

I'm not sure about this -- it could go either way, although I generally
tend to put things in the least far-reaching place possible. If you
prefer to keep the configuration together in /etc, it might be worth a
shot (after fixing the "^From " issue and making backup copies of the
working configuration).

I'm sorry again for taking so long to respond to your post, since I'm
sure you'd rather get this working as soon as possible! I'll do my best
to respond more quickly if more issues arise.

Chet