[wplug] New York park goers to get free Internet Wi-Fi

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue May 16 22:28:11 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 21:41 -0400, Zach wrote:
> So ostensibly one could sit there as long as there laptop battery
> permitted and access the open network? Does anyone know how to config
> Linux to automatically find an open network and use it?

Yup.  The Schenley Park Cafe is quite nice - y'all should check it out
sometime.  I've never checked to see if WiFi works when they're closed.
The new Schenley Plaza has signs advertising free WiFi - that's quite
cool.

On to point 2....

NetworkManager[1] is your friend.  Also, it automatically notices what
wireless networks I'm connected to an picks the correct one.  It's even
smart enough to notice that when it sees my network it should connect to
that one over the one run by a neighbor called "CMU" (probably because
they couldn't get their laptop to work on multiple networks).

On ubuntu: sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
           nm-applet

It's delicious.

--Patrick

[1] http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/