[wplug] Minix presentation?

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Mon May 15 17:43:53 EDT 2006

Those of you who read Slashdot and such are probably aware that the
microkernel/monolithic kernel debate still rages.  I am not
particularly interested in flame wars.  However, Andrew Tanenbaum
makes a good point in <http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/reliable-os/>: if
you're going to argue about MINIX, you should at least try it out.

Is anyone willing to download MINIX 3 <http://www.minix3.org/> and
give a presentation at a GUM?  I would be interested to see how it
compares to Linux and BSD systems, both in terms of features and
performance.  Yes, it does run X, and has a number of applications
available, though it is not a complete drop-in replacement.

MINIX is released under a BSD license, so it does fall under the
"open source" part of WPLUG's purpose.  If nobody else is
interested, I may just do this myself, but lack of spare time makes
this a real challenge for me.