[wplug] Running apache with user other than 'www' or 'httpd'?

Christopher DeMarco cmd at alephant.net
Fri May 12 09:50:25 EDT 2006

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 09:39:12AM -0400, Russ Schneider wrote:

> Could I create a user such as "sugapablo" to run apache?  How would I do
> that?  Do you think that get around the AOL problem?

Yes.

RTFM ;-D

No.

Most well-configured MTAs will reject mail FROM localhost.  Running
Apache as fnord23 is fairly easy (one directive in httpd.conf IIANM)
but I'd bet gonads to gazpacho that upwards of 50% of MTAs will reject
your @localhost envelope.

Ask a PHP wiz about how PHP is configured to send mail; if it's using
the local /sbin/sendmail binary then the configuration is entirely
under your control.  If OTOH PHP sends mail with an internal SMTP
implementation that does its own DNS and talks directly to remote
MXen, then there should be configuration available.  The second
scenario is, IMHO, brain-damaged.  I can't imagine that PHP wouldn't
use the system's own MTA, in which case you've just got to look at
your Postfix/Qmail/Exim/Sendmail/Mega-Frob config to fixit.

--
Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net>
Alephant Systems (http://alephant.net)