[wplug] DNS Question

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Mon May 8 08:54:57 EDT 2006

> If you really want to run a name server, you can just run one at home,
> you don't technically need two.  ns1.x.x and ns2.x.x can point to the
> same address.  That's what I did a long time ago when I had a connection
> that didn't block all ports under 1024.  Now, don't get me wrong here
> this is incredibly stupid if you have "production" services, but for a
> home connection and a personal domain you should be okay.

 	Agreed, you *should* be okay, and I have run my domains off one
DNS server. Technically, you do need a minimum of two DNS servers, and
they should be in geographically different locations. The reason for this
is for redundancy, of course. This isn't just a suggestion, or good DNS
practice, I think it is actually in the DNS specification, IIRC.

 	I have a host at a friend's office, which hosts my authoratative
DNS. I use my home cable connection as the secondary. This gets me by
until I find some proper local hosting facilities.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.zhrodague.net