[wplug] DNS Question

Christopher DeMarco cmd at alephant.net
Mon May 8 09:16:54 EDT 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 08:50:06AM -0400, Christopher DeMarco wrote:

> The registrar (the person to whom you pay $25 annually for
> registration/renewal) creates a WHOIS record for your domain,
> indicating that ns1.foo.com and ns2.foo.com are authoritative for
> your domain.  They will usually also set up "glue" records resolving
> ns1.foo.com and ns2.foo.com to IP addresses.

That's actually inaccurate, now that I re-read it (proofreading 1,
spontanaity 0).

The registrar causes a *delegation* of your zone to your nameservers,
and may create the associated glue records.  Both of these are
additions to / modifications of the data in the parent zone's
(e.g. ".com") data.

The WHOIS record is part of an entirely different application.  Sorry
for the mis-information.

--
Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net>
Alephant Systems (http://alephant.net)