[wplug] DNS Question

Logan ascii at psu.edu
Mon May 8 02:38:22 EDT 2006

> But that seems like it should be problematic -- how could you have
> two different master domain name servers?  Which one does the user
> trust?
 From the user's perspective, can they even see the master/slave
relationship? I thought all they got was ns1.yourdomain.tld and
ns2.yourdomain.tld

> Is it still desirable to run one's own domain name server? Or
> should I just rely on joker's?  The only reason I don't like them
> is the long TTL (a full day).
I run my own for the same reason. It's not hard, so I really don't
see a reason to not run it.

If they have different TTL's though, wouldn't running your own in
addition not really help? Someone makes a DNS request and might get
yours or Joker's - if they get Joker's then the TTL is set in your
cache and you don't see the update for a day anyhow. Am I right, or
getting this confused with DNS load-balancing using a round-robin
list of IP addresses?