[wplug] RAID, SATA, and Linux (of course)

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Fri May 5 11:42:09 EDT 2006

>  When I asked about Linux support, they threw up their hands.  So I was
> wondering if I could get any recommendations for any RAID controllers
> out there that have good Linux support and would be easy to setup.  I
> noticed on newegg that there are a few different models, some even
> mentioning that they had RedHat support.  Though I have no idea of the
> things to look for.  Iÿÿm pretty lazy, so easier is better :)

 	Hehehehe! Everything works with Linux -- eventually. I think SATA
support is worked out, as we have it as the RAID on the WiFiMaps.com
servers.

 	I suggest using two big identical drives, and using a built-in
SATA controller. I'd suggest using built-in controllers rather than add-in
PCI cards -- you can end up with crappy disk access if the controller
doesn't fit well with the system it is in. To be honest, I don't have any
SATA equipment, and I'm just fine wtih the cheaper EIDE drives.

 	The kernel-raid stuff works great, but I am not familiar with any
of the hardware raid support, or how that would even work.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.zhrodague.net