[wplug] Running Processes as non-root user

D. Joe wplug at etrumeus.com
Fri May 5 11:32:58 EDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 08:43:52AM -0400, Matthew T. Engel wrote:

> 2.  If anyone was able to successfully set up a chroot jail & is willing to
> share set up notes or advice... I would forever be grateful.

I haven't set one up as a jail, per se, but have done a fair bit
in full-featured chroot environments for upgrade and
configuration development and testing, following some of what
seems to be a fairly common set of approaches in the Debian
community.

Do a web search on "debian chroot install" gets a number of
hits, including

http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/DebianChrootInstall

A gotcha to watch for here is that Debian policy holds that if
you install a server package, you must intend to have that
service started right away.  So, if you have a server running in
the parent/host environment, and then install the package for
that service in the chroot environment, you'll (hopefully) get
errors about the port already being used, or instances of the
daemon already running, etc.  These don't signal a failure of
the package to install, just to start during the post-install
step.

--
D. Joe Anderson        http://www.etrumeus.com/~deejoe
deejoe at etrumeus.com