[wplug] RAID, SATA, and Linux (of course)

Jason Jerome jjerome2 at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 11:04:09 EDT 2006

I’m looking to migrate my home network server over from a simple single disk shared Samba/NFS (not backed up) to something with more space and some redundancy.  After asking around at work I was recommended setting up a RAID-1 configuration with SATA drives.  They mentioned that there are add-in cards that handle the RAID and would accept the SATA drives (my server is an old P3 computer).

  When I asked about Linux support, they threw up their hands.  So I was wondering if I could get any recommendations for any RAID controllers out there that have good Linux support and would be easy to setup.  I noticed on newegg that there are a few different models, some even mentioning that they had RedHat support.  Though I have no idea of the things to look for.  I’m pretty lazy, so easier is better :)

Thanks in advance...