[wplug] SATA/RAID Boot Problem

Bob Supansic rsupansic at libcom.com
Mon Mar 27 10:19:44 EST 2006

A friend and I have been trying to install SUSE 10.0 on a
DIY fileserver.

While the install proceeds smoothly, subsequent attempts to
boot the machine either produces Grub error messages or a
simple hang.  In particular, the system seems to be hanging
when loading the module via_sata.ko.

We have tried different motherboards (an E-POX and MSI K8T
Neo-V) but none have worked. Our suspicion is that the VIA
8237R chipset is at fault.  A few weeks ago we installed
SUSE 9.3 on a fileserver with no problems.  That motherboard
carried a straight VIA 8237.

Has anyone has experience with these chipsets and/or SUSE  10.0?

Thanks in advance.