[wplug] Linux Setup

Bobbie Eicher bobbie.eicher at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 12:12:45 EST 2006

Steve,

Glad to be helpful where I can!

Your laptop's stats look like it's easily powerful enough to run Linux.

Since you say that you want to try either Ubuntu or Gentoo, my personal
advice would be to give Ubuntu a try first.  Gentoo is very very good at
being a distribution that you can customize and optimize to get every last
bit of power out of your computer.  Optimizing is always a good thing, but
your machine looks powerful enough to me that you aren't likely to be
desperate to squeeze all the power out of it that you can.

Ubuntu, on the other hand, I haven't actually tried but the reviews I've
heard have been very positive about how easy to install and use it is, and
it seems to be gathering popularity very nicely.  Since you're looking to
get comfortable with using Linux as your main operating system, it makes
more sense to me to start out with the distribution that's less likely to
tempt you into dealing with more detail than absolutely needed (like
choosing which file system you want to use, or compiling a custom kernel).

What I'm hearing from you is that you want to use this for your school work
and since we're in the middle of a semester that makes it extra important to
get it running and doing the basic things that you need it to do to be
comfortable and productive.  Gentoo is excellent for getting access to the
details of your computer's setup so that it's exactly the way you want it,
and dealing with those details does teach you about the way Linux works, but
it doesn't sound to me as if the things you want to learn are in the area of
file systems and kernel modules so much as getting comfortable with the
desktop environment and programs, as well as doing some programming (which
normally doesn't require understanding a whole lot of technical detail on
how the operating system itself actually works).

Once you feel good about your ability to use Linux at the desktop level, if
you want to learn more about the internals Gentoo should serve you very
well.  At the moment, my instincts are saying Ubuntu will serve you better,
but other people may feel differently and you should obviously go whichever
way makes you feel the best about using your computer.

I would suggest going to the ubunto website (ubuntu.com) and download the
LiveCD and see how it does at recognizing your hardware and working on your
computer.  Like I said before, don't worry if it seems slow.  Running an
operating system from a CD is always slow.

Something else you might like to try out is the VMWare Player (
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/).  It's free these days and basically
allows a home user to run more than one operating system at a time.  This
particular version of the VMWare software only lets you use virtual machines
that have already been created.  They have a pre-made copy of Ubuntu (no
Gentoo, I'm afraid) for it available on the VMWare website.  The downside of
this approach is that running more than one OS at once through a virtual
machine requires more system resources than running just one, as you'd
expect.  So I'm not sure how well it'd run with 512 MB of RAM.

If you're interested in VMWare, a gentleman from the company is coming to do
a talk on April 29.  That's a Saturday, unfortunately, but if it turns out
you have some time that day it may be worth a look.

- Bobbie Lynn