[wplug] Linux Setup

sds18+ at pitt.edu sds18+ at pitt.edu
Sun Mar 19 10:48:30 EST 2006

Hey Bobbie Lynn ~

Thanks for the welcome and the good introduction to what I face in trying
to complete this project!

So yeah, I figured that the fact that I'm working on a laptop would factor
negatively into the equation.  From linux-laptop.net, however, it looks
like there is a glimmer of hope.  Though they didn't have any info on my
specific laptop (Sony Vaio PCG-K45), there were some individuals who
reported successes with similar K-series laptops.  Which is a good segue
into my laptop and more specific info about what I'm trying to do.

I'm on a Sony Vaio (PCG-K45) mobile desktop laptop. Notable specs include
*3.2GHz Mobile Pentium 4 Processor (non-HT) with 533 front-side bus
*80GB hard drive (NTFS FIle System)
*ATI Radeon IGP
*512MB RAM (upgradeable)
*QSI CDRW/DVD Drive

If there are any other important stats, I'm sure I could easily send those
to the list as well.

With respect to distributions, though I'm familiar with Fedora Core, I was
actually looking to branch out and try some other distros.  Specifically I
was interested in Gentoo or Ubuntu.  Fortunately at least one individual
reported almost no difficulties in getting Gentoo to work with their
K-Series laptop, again from that site you linked me to.  As for the
design/layout of the system, ultimately I'd like to allocate most of my
system to the linux operating system and keep windows around as a backup
(for instance, in the event that I can't get a presentation from Open
Office to work, I may need to fall back on Power Point, etc..)  In the
end, after I'm completely comfortable with the transition, I'll likely
blow Windows off the system for good however!

So yeah, that's about where I stand with the system at the moment.  I'm
hoping that I can find a way to re-arrange my Saturdays such that I could
actually get to at least part of a meeting here next month, though if that
doesn't work, any help, suggestions, etc over the list will be greatly
appreciated!  Let me know what you think about the feasibility of my goals
given the info above and any further suggestions (especially with respect
to distributions) you may have.  Thanks again for your rapid response and
I look forward to hearing back from you soon!
Until later ~
Steve