[wplug] IT project case studies

Dane Miller dane at olneyfriends.org
Sat Mar 18 09:54:38 EST 2006

Michael Semcheski wrote:
> Dane Miller wrote:
> > I wrote descriptions of some fun IT projects I've done recently, and
> > posted them to http://briteideas.blogspot.com.  I'm trying to do
> > better at documenting my work, and at the same time building a
> > portfolio to show to potential employers.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any feedback, corrections, or questions.
>
> That's impressive.  I toyed around with Samba and OpenLDAP on Ubuntu.
> Not for the faint of heart.
>
> Interesting note about "Backups are not archives."  I think I may take
> it upon myself to reinforce this with my users.
>
> I'd like to read over this in more depth.  What kind of documentation
> are you doing for these projects?

Aside from these high-level overviews, I haven't written any
particularly readable documentation for these projects.  My internal
documentation (trouble tickets using the web app IRM) is usually a
transcript of the actions I performed.  See my November 2005 posting at
the above URL for an example... probably not too helpful because it is
so specific to my production environment.

I can send this kind of documentation if you are interested.  Although
it might be easier for me to answer specific questions.

Dane