[wplug] Linux Setup

sds18+ at pitt.edu sds18+ at pitt.edu
Fri Mar 17 18:46:11 EST 2006

Hey All!
I'm new to the WPLUG, and was hoping I might find someone in the group who
would be able to help me / teach me how to install a linux on my laptop,
first in a dual-boot arrangement with windows, though ultimately I'd like
to end up windows free!  I use the system for a wide range of purposes,
from research papers and multimedia powerpoints through gaming, and
ultimately I'd also like to get back into programing and coding now that
I'm starting to have a little more free time.  Overall, I have a pretty
good level of experience with linux based systems, as my computer at work
runs Fedora Core, however I'm looking to expand and build on this
knowledge with my own system.  I would ask around about this little
project at a meeting, but unfortunately I have a conflicting Saturday
class and will be unable to attend meetings until the middle of May at the
earliest.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to
provide, and I look forward to participating in the WPLUG.

Steve

The reason I am sending this rather than just letting it through is
that although non-members are very welcome at wplug venues on and
offline, you will likely not get responses since most people on this
list reply only to the list.

Secondly, might I suggest that you add a couple of lines about your
level of experience with linux and your purpose for this machine:
general purpose desktop, office productivity tools, coding &
development, multimedia or what?