[wplug] Another OT buggy-hardware post

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Fri Mar 17 14:02:52 EST 2006

> I thought it was thermal for a long time.  But the more I learn, the more I
> suspect a defect.

> b at plaza:/tmp$ uptime
> 11:38:22 up  1:43,  9 users,  load average: 0.98, 1.05, 0.72
>
> and sensors reports the CPU temperature is 50C and the M/B is 43C.  Those
> seem pretty comfortable based on what I've read and seen.

 	Remember, load-average is not really cpu-usage, but processs in
the run queue (Right?). If your CPU is waiting to push bits to your GPU,
you may have a high load. If your NFS host goes away, you may get a
incremented +1 to your load average after doing a df. Try running an
http://distributed.net client, and then watch your CPU temperature.
Guaranteed to give it a workout. Here, use security at zhrodague.net as the
email address =_)

 	(I set this up on two whole IBM Blade Chassis for a couple of
weeks. Normally, these 14 machines blow moderate hot-air out the back.
When I ran a dnetc client on each host, the fan kicks-up into high gear,
and the air gets MUCH hotter. Hot as in, "They ship stuff that gets this
hot?")

> If this hasn't convinced you that temperature is not an issue, let me know.
> I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Nobody is selling Athlon XP 2000+s
> anymore...

 	Still could be lots of things. Do you have a fan on one of the
other chips on your board? Does it spin? I pipe-up 'cause I am going
through the same thing -- y'know.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.zhrodague.net