[wplug] version control for e.g. MS Word documents

Jason Jerome jjerome2 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 17:23:52 EST 2006

I think this is one of the reasons that MS wanted to change to a XML format.

We version a lot of Crystal Reports in Subversion, which is nice except there is no diff between the files.  We basically rely on descriptive log notes.  If all you are doing is versioning Word files, I'm not sure it will help you other than providing a way of organizing your versions.  There have been plenty of times I've wished I could compare one (binary) file to another to remember exactly what I had changed.

We ran across a similiar problem with Word, and started using RTF (Rich Text Format) files.  They open in Word, wordpad, notepad, etc and Subversion can diff them.

I'd suppose that if it was possible, that SourceSafe would be the first to have that feature?

Good luck...