[wplug] Addendum: Memtest86+.bin "too big for memory?"

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Tue Mar 14 16:53:15 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Jonathan S. Billings wrote:

> Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
>> So I installed memtest86+.bin into my /boot directory and added it to
>> menu.lst using 'update-grub,' which did it automatically.  When I tried
>> to boot into it, i was advised it's 'too big to fit into memory'.  It's
>> only 94k and the vmlinuz files I've got in there are all at least 10x
>> bigger. Google found nothing with memtest86+.bin and "too big". What do
>> I do?
>
> This sounds like it might be related to this bug:
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=3404
>
> There are some suggestions in the comments.

Wow. It sure sounds like that would solve my problem, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, it doesn't.  I applied the patches myself.

Thanks for finding what I was unable to find.  But it doesn't work for
"some reason."  Since I would really like to run memtest on this machine,
and since this bug seems to be what I need to fix in order to do that, I
would like to post an update saying that the patch doesn't solve the
problem.  But first, I want to make sure that I applied it correctly,
since there aren't any instructions in the source telling how to actually
install grub.

Here's what I did:
<patch stage2/char_io.c and stage2/shared.h>
./configure --prefix=""  # since I want to install into /sbin and not
 			 # /usr/local/sbin
make
make install
grub-install /dev/hda1
<reboot>

That should do it, right? I verified that the files in /boot/grub/ changed
when I ran grub-install, but can do no more than that.  Then when I boot
and try and load the memtest kernel, I still get the "not enough memory"
error.

What information besides "it still doesn't work" should I put in the bug
report?

Thanks,
Brandon