[wplug] mailing list program

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Mar 10 14:18:22 EST 2006

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 12:59:09 -0500
"Michael Mulich" <mrmst13 at rmu.edu> wrote:

> I'm wanting to setup a one way mailing list for sending out event flyers
> and such.  I'm currently looking at majordomo with majorcool, however
> i'm open for suggestion.  Sendmail is the current mta and i won't be
> changing it any time soon, so it must be compatible.  Other than that...
> must be able to have pdf attachments in the email, not that this would
> be a problem anyway.
> Any upside to using something besides majordomo?
> Thanks for the advice,

Mailman seems to be the most popular choice nowadays.  I think it's a
good balance of features and performance, but I've heard majordomo
absolutely trounces mailman on pure performance.  Can't attest to
that personally.

However, with such a simple list as what you're considering, you may
want to consider minimalist.  It's just a single perl script, so no
messy python dependencies or anything.  It's mailing list database is
also human-readible, so you can prune or add to lists with a text
editor.

I've been using minimalist for a while.  It integrates with the MTA
through aliases, so it should integrate with any unix MTA out there
(even sendmail :)

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.