[wplug] Pittsburgh Code Camp Event

Rob Knapp myddrin at myddrin.com
Thu Mar 9 16:50:55 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 16:39 -0500, Drew from Zhrodague wrote:
> > (Btw, PyCON is a great deal of fun.  If you can get your employer to pay
> > for it, it is well worth it!)
>
>  	(If you blog, you can get into any tradeshow. Just tell 'em you're
> a blogger, and that you want a press pass. This is what I do, and it works
> great =_)

Does that work if you get less than 1,000 visitors a year? :)

>  	(Too bad not many real conferences are held anywhere near
> Pittsburgh.)

It's funny I was just thinking that.  Has anyone ever looked into what
it takes to start/run a Con?  Could WPLUG partener with some other
nearby user groups and do a "Mid-Atlantic Open Source Conference"?
BiMonSciFiCon errr... MAOSC...

Obviously the convention center would be FAAAAARRRRR too big, but I'm
sure that a one of the local hotels would be big enough.  I'm sure that
the Zope Corporation folks could trek up for Alexandria, and IIRC there
are a couple OSS companies operating right in PGH.  And I'm sure my
boss(es) would be thrilled if I re-did my talks from PyCON.  (They both
opened their code at PyCON.)

Wouldn't be huge, but might be big enough to make the second year's con
interesting......

In terms of sponsors I know that Google was a heavy presence at PyCON,
and aren't they opening a PGH office?  (I spent most of the conference
trying like crazy not to get cornered by their recruiters.)  [MS was
also a sponsor...could have knocked me over w/ a feather.]