[wplug] [wplug-announce] GUM Data Base Admin and Membership Meeting Sat March 11 2006

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Thu Mar 9 12:20:46 EST 2006

Hello,

Western PA Linux Users Group will be hosting a General Users Meeting
(GUM) featuring Data Base Administration. It will be held on this Saturday
March 11, 2006 from 10am to 2:00 pm  at Carnegie Mellon University,
Newell Simon Hall 3002. This meeting is free and open to the general
public. No RSVP required.

PLEASE NOTE THE NEW LOCATION: Newell Simon Hall 3002
Visit our new Maps and Directions page
http://www.wplug.org/pages/wplugmap/
Please note that our new phone number is 412 268 4998
Make sure to print out the directions!

As part of this month's General Users Meeting, we will have a membership
meeting from 10:30 to 11:30. We will be discussing organizational
business. All are welcome to attend this part of the day - members and non
members. In order for this membership meeting to count we will need a
quorum of 15 members. Please make an effort to be there.
The informal agenda for the membership meeting is posted...
http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-members/2006-February/000016.html

GUM Topic: Database Administration (double header)
Host: Beth Lynn Eicher
CoHost: Vance Kochenderfer
Speakers: David Ostroke and Bill Moran

ABSTRACTS:
SQL at 11:30-12:15:
Daivd's talk will be about Structured Query Language (SQL), and using
MySQL (and at least one front end) to retrieve and manipulate data. SQL
comes in many dialects, but David will stick to ANSI standards as closely
as possible. The talk will be geared to beginners, and will cover basic
SQL database objects, SELECT queries, inner and outer joins, and data
definition and manipulation.

Database programming 12:45pm-1:30pm:
Bill will be covering how to write applications in SQL. How to write
database client applications and how to extend server capability through
stored procedures. PostgreSQL will be used in examples.

Schedule:
10am doors open
10am - 10:30am donuts and coffee
10:20am announcements and pizza orders taken
10:30am-11:30am membership meeting
11:30am last call for pizza
11:30am-12:15pm David's SQL talk
12:15pm-12:45pm pizza lunch, $5 contribution
12:45pm-1:30pm Bill's Database Programming
1:30pm - 2pm social time
2pm adjournment

See you there!

Beth Lynn Eicher
WPLUG Vice Chair

Upcoming Events...
Linux on PPC April 1 10am-2pm CMU NSH 3002
VMWARE April 29 10am-2pm CMU NSH 3305

For questions about this event or about WPLUG, please contact
info at wplug.org