[wplug] Off-the-wall Question on FTP

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Mar 8 09:50:32 EST 2006

Diana A. Clarion wrote:
> I've been looking at the ftp client lo these many moons, and some of its
> behavior sets me to thinking.  I notice that one can attempt to retrieve a
> file several directories removed from the remote CWD, but if one does not
> specify a local file name and a similar tree does not exist locally, the
> client goes *boof* (technical term).

This is most likely a client issue, since only the protocol is
well-defined, not where your client deals with the data once the
transmission is initiated.

Most likely, your client is going to use the same name as the file
you're downloading when you don't give it a local file name as a
parameter, so if you are downloading a file named: "../foo/bar/baz.gz"
it will save it to a file called "../foo/bar/baz.gz".