[wplug] Off-the-wall Question on FTP

Diana A. Clarion dclarion at fnordnet.net
Tue Mar 7 18:39:51 EST 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 09:06:29AM -0500, Rob Knapp wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 08:39 -0500, Eric Cooper wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 12:14:38AM -0500, Diana A. Clarion wrote:
> > > I notice that one can attempt to retrieve a
> > > file several directories removed from the remote CWD, but if one does not
> > > specify a local file name and a similar tree does not exist locally, the
> > > client goes *boof* (technical term).
> >
> > Broken client, I'd say:
>
> I'd agree.  A few years ago, I wrote a very small ftp client library for
> python.  (ftplib having to many dependencies for our needs.)
>
> IIRC, the protocol does not define anything about the local files.
> (default names, paths, etc.) All the server does is get the commands and
> serve the file out.  As a client, you get the bites and are thankful for
> them.  Whatever you do after that point is up to you as the author of
> the client.  (You know, redirect the bytes to the soundcard, insert them
> randomly in a file, whatever you're little heart desires.)

Ah, thanks.  That's what I was looking for.  Call me whatever you want to call
me, but I have a hard time wading through many of the specifications
(especially POSIX).  I likely forgot to mention, but the client in question is
the one that comes with FreeBSD...

DAC
--
Diana A. Clarion, Goddess of the Network
http://www.fnordnet.net/~dclarion