[wplug] Off-the-wall Question on FTP

Diana A. Clarion dclarion at fnordnet.net
Tue Mar 7 00:14:38 EST 2006

I've been looking at the ftp client lo these many moons, and some of its
behavior sets me to thinking.  I notice that one can attempt to retrieve a
file several directories removed from the remote CWD, but if one does not
specify a local file name and a similar tree does not exist locally, the
client goes *boof* (technical term).

Out of curiosity:

Does this behavior exist by divine (read POSIX) mandate, or is it just "the
way it was done" way back when?  If the behavior is mutable, might it be a good
idea to retrieve everything into the local CWD, a better idea to create the
tree, or to leave sleeping dogs lie?  (For the record, I am disinclined to
Option #3.)

Many much thanks for hearing my lunatic ramblings
DAC

--
Diana A. Clarion, Goddess of the Network
http://www.fnordnet.net/~dclarion