[wplug] fsck.ext3

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Mon Mar 6 15:56:48 EST 2006

Frank W. Holden Jr. wrote:
> HOWDY people. I have been having problems with a hard drive and I want
> to get the data off of it. The problem is it tells me that it can not
> read the super block, how can I figure out what the value is of the next
> super block??? I seem to remember that it was a five digit number, but
> for the life of me I can not remember what that number was when I
> formatted the drive. Is there a sane way to figure this out??? OR do I
> lose all my data???
>
> The hard drive is a Western Digital 160GB EIDE with 1 partition
> formatted with ext3...

The location of the superblock depends on the block size that was used
when creating the filesystem.  Most large filesystems are created with a
 4k block size, so it'd be -b 32768.  If that doesn't work, try -b 8193
(1k block size) and -b 16384 (2k block size).

If none of those work, make sure that the offset you are using is right,
that the partition table is correct and that the disk's filesystem was
*really* ext3.