[wplug] Writing Tech Manuals

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Sat Jun 24 23:57:12 EDT 2006

Kevin,

I just wanted to make two comments regarding source control:

Source control is very useful, even for binary files.  I think the
ability to do a diff is great, but you can also add a message which
describes what changed when you commit.  This works for binary or text
files.  Source control facilitates working on multiple copies of the
same file.  I try to use it for all work-products I create, regardless
of whether its binary or text.

Second, I'm not that familiar with Subversion, but I think CVS gets a
bad rap.  The thing that I really like about CVS, which I don't think
Subversion can do, is that CVS keeps the source repository in a normal
directory hiararchy.  That is, if you cd to the CVSROOT directory,
you'll see the same hierarchy of files that you have in your project
directory.  You can copy, move, delete files directly in the
repository.  Yes, you can get yourself into trouble if you abuse it.
But, it can be handy.  And if (and this has never happened to me) a file
becomes corrupted, well, big whoop.  You might lose some history info.
What if your subversion database gets borked?  Maybe you should use
Subversion but check the subversion database file into CVS.  But
seriously, I like the fact that CVS keeps everything in the filesystem
with one file in the repository for one file in the project.

I think other people raised valid points which may conflict with the
views expressed in this email, and you should consider them as well.

Mike