[wplug] Execute script on ctrl-alt-F#, misc multi-X-session questions

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Thu Jun 22 12:45:09 EDT 2006

Hello group..

I commonly run my computer (Debian) with two concurrent X sessions, one
for each of the residents of my apartment.  These are on X terminals 0 and
1, and I switch between them with ctrl-alt-F7 and F8, respectively.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to get X to execute a script when
it captures a command to switch the display among virtual terminals?  I
want to come up with a way to disable the xscreensaver daemon for the
inactive X terminal and reenable it for the active one.

I know xscreensaver is designed to run in the background at low priority,
and that's fine when some processor-intensive hack comes on while I'm
working in the foreground.. but when both displays are running
xscreensaver hacks (but only one of them is displaying), then the display
is sluggish.

Also, perhaps this is unrelated, but I'd also be interested in a way to
allow the active display access to hardware acceleration on my graphics
card.. at present, the first x session gets sole access to hardware
acceleration, and subsequent sessions do not.

Thanks for any pointers,
Brandon