[wplug] Email bounce problem

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Mon Jun 19 11:52:11 EDT 2006

On 06/19/2006 11:43 AM, Larry Daberko wrote:
> No backup MXs are specified.  The customer's issue is intermittent. The
> customer uses a large webhost which uses another party's email servers.
>  This makes me believe one server in the round robin is misconfigured
> and there's a bunch of finger-pointing on their end.

Yeah, probably one of the bad servers in the RR has lost or broken
configuration that says who is allowed to send mail through their servers.

> Could anyone tell me what software would produce the type of error
> message?  Exchange or?

It's hard to tell from what you've shown, however, the full headers of
the bounce would probably say what generated the failure.  Since you
probably don't have those (unless the customer was actually helpful and
sent full headers, which I doubt), you might be able to tell by just
telnetting to port 25 on hosting.com's MXs, and type 'ehlo whatever',
which should print out a banner, saying what software it is.

Chemist who falls in acid is absorbed in work.