[wplug] Fwd: prometheus [radio] back in pittsburgh!

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Jun 16 14:59:36 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 12:04 -0400, Pat Barron wrote:
> A better solution might be to start a new mailing list
> "wplug-talk" (or something) whose purpose is basically social
> interaction, and/or discussions of off-topic things that the
> local Linux community may be interested in.

Your post actually got me thinking...

The mailing list software, Mailman, that WPLUG uses for its mailing list
has the capability of using mailing list topics.  By default, there are
none, and by default, everyone's settings say, "if message doesn't match
the topics I've selected, then don't send the message to me", but since
there are no topics defined, all messages are delivered.

It might be possible to create a topic for "off-topic" messages.  I do
believe that it would require some configuration changes by the WPLUG
higher echelon, but it might solve some of the problems people have
brought up.

The topics are defined by regular expressions, and a user can set a
topic by putting it in the Subject header, or by starting a message with
a Keyword: <blah> line, where <blah> is the topic to be matched by the
regex.

Has anyone here actually played with mailman's topic feature?  Is it
worth it?

--
Jonathan Billings

There's a whole WORLD in a mud puddle!