[wplug] Fwd: prometheus [radio] back in pittsburgh!

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Jun 16 14:12:49 EDT 2006

> On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 12:04 -0400, Pat Barron wrote:
> > Because it puts the burden on the reader to filter out things that should
> > never have been sent to the mailing list in the first place.
> >
> > A better solution might be to start a new mailing list
> > "wplug-talk" (or something) whose purpose is basically social
> > interaction, and/or discussions of off-topic things that the
> > local Linux community may be interested in.
>
> I've heard this suggestion several times, when I was moderating
> wplug at wplug.org.  The problem?  People wouldn't use it unless someone
> came along and moderated wplug.  And that's probably not going to
> happen.  Also, if people want to genuinely converse online, they use
> IRC.  (#wplug on irc.freenode.net)
>
> People just need to realize that the wplug mailing list is a community,
> and people sometimes chat off topic.  Anyway, how do you define
> off-topic?  I'm sure the definition is different from one person to the
> next.  If you're too strict, you scare off some people, and if you are
> too open, why bother moderating at all?
>
> I know I had some people, including WPLUG board members flame me
> off-list for posting off topic messages.  I guess my definition is a lot
> more open than others.

I can't speak for others, but my email was not intended to be a "flame".
Only to point out the irony that you had complained about off topic posts
only a few weeks earlier.

On the topic of off-topic and moderation, I tend to agree with you.  This
list is low-traffic enough that an off-topic post here and there isn't a
big deal.  And there are enough topics that are "near-topic" that could
be on-topic or off-topic, depending on who you ask.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.