[wplug] Fwd: prometheus [radio] back in pittsburgh!

Shane Liesegang shane at shaneliesegang.com
Fri Jun 16 12:57:00 EDT 2006

I've been on -- I can't even remember how many -- e-mail lists over the
last 10 years or so, and practically all of them run in to this problem
at one time or another. The less targeted a list, the more likely it is
to go off-topic.

A mailing list of developers implementing a very specific library:
nearly 100% on topic
A mailing list of students who all live in the same dorm: moderately
on-topic
A mailing list for people of similar political persuasion: gets
off-topic quite a bit

So we then have to break down WPLUG. Western Pennsylvania Linux User
Group. If I have something that is only of interest to Western
Pennsylvanians, and has nothing to do with Linux, should I send it? What
if I have some information about a huge Linux installation happening out
here in California? Would people consider my posts off-topic by
definition because I no longer live in Western Pennsylvania?

What about something about FairPlay being cracked? Can I assume that
most people who would be interested in Linux would also be interested in
that? What about new hackable hardware? Government wiretaps? Steelers
draft picks? Browns draft picks?

You see the slippery slope -- with a group as broad as "Linux users"
it's really tough to determine what people consider "on topic."

Thus, the "laissez-faire" attitude of moderation is probably the best.
Stop the spam, but let any "real" mail through, regardless of subject.
If people aren't interested in it, it will die out eventually. A survey
of the recent traffic law thread shows a pretty healthy mix of
participants; it's not like 2 or 3 people were just bouncing back and
forth. So it seems that there was at least some kind of interest among
the group.

I assume everyone filters WPLUG mail to its own folder anyway -- if
you're technical enough to be interested in Linux, I would hope you know
how to filter your mail. That way there's no way for mailing list mail
to mess up your inbox and keep you from seeing something important.
Personally, when I look at my WPLUG folder and see 30+ messages since
the previous morning, I kind of roll my eyes and assume "uh oh,
something blew up." :-)

	- SJML