[wplug] Fwd: prometheus [radio] back in pittsburgh!

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Jun 16 12:22:53 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 12:04 -0400, Pat Barron wrote:
> Because it puts the burden on the reader to filter out things that should
> never have been sent to the mailing list in the first place.
>
> A better solution might be to start a new mailing list
> "wplug-talk" (or something) whose purpose is basically social
> interaction, and/or discussions of off-topic things that the
> local Linux community may be interested in.

I've heard this suggestion several times, when I was moderating
wplug at wplug.org.  The problem?  People wouldn't use it unless someone
came along and moderated wplug.  And that's probably not going to
happen.  Also, if people want to genuinely converse online, they use
IRC.  (#wplug on irc.freenode.net)

People just need to realize that the wplug mailing list is a community,
and people sometimes chat off topic.  Anyway, how do you define
off-topic?  I'm sure the definition is different from one person to the
next.  If you're too strict, you scare off some people, and if you are
too open, why bother moderating at all?

I know I had some people, including WPLUG board members flame me
off-list for posting off topic messages.  I guess my definition is a lot
more open than others.

--
Jonathan Billings

It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one.
		-- Phil White