[wplug] Trying to go Wireless (w/pennies)

Matthew T. Engel mengel at allegheny.edu
Thu Jun 15 09:33:54 EDT 2006

Hello.

I have some students trying to build a wireless network from WRTG54 V5.0
Linksys Routers.  They would like to use ChilliSpot to interconnect and
remotely manage the wireless routers. (chilispot has a prepackaged
radius,dhcp, etc)

The problem arises as they are attempting to use the existing campus network
to interconnect their wireless routers & ChilliSpot.  The campus network
provides its own DHCP, switching services, etc...  The ChilliSpot is
intended to provide DHCP services to wireless clients, it is also responding
to dhcp requests that should be answered by the campus DHCP server.

The Students have figure out that by pluging the uplink cable into a LAN
port on the router, it will act as an access point, and pass DHCP request
through?

The question I ask, is for suggestion on how to determine wired based DHCP
requests from Wireless?

Thanks,

matt