[wplug] Email clients, mailing lists and spellcheck

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Jun 15 08:55:56 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 07:58 -0400, Jason Carr wrote:

> I use Mozilla Thunderbird on Windows, Evolution on Linux boxes with
> spell checking built in.  I don't like Evolutions spell check as much as
> Thunderbird's since you have to right click on the word that is
> underlined, then click "check spelling" or some such nonsense.
> Thunderbird you can just right click on the misspelled word and it gives
> you a few suggestions and you can just click the correct one.

I agree with your opinion about Evolution's spell checking.  If it's
going to have in-line spellchecking, I really wish it'd bring up a
contextual menu with the top replacements.  If only Thunderbird had
virtual mailboxes, I'd probably just use it instead of Evolution.

> I also
> use Mutt when I don't feel like having a full blown GUI client running,
> I use vim as my text editor for mail, and I don't do any spell checking.
>   I believe that vim 7 has spell checking built in or something, but my
> distro hasn't released vim 7 yet.

Does vim have a word-wrap mode?  One of the reasons I stick with running
emacs is because I'm most familiar with the keybindings, but it also has
a pretty good set of modes for writing email.

If anyone is curious, I have this in my .emacs:

;;;;;;; Mode for editing email in mutt ;;;;;;;
(setq auto-mode-alist (append (list
                               (cons "^\/tmp\.mutt" 'mail-mode)
                               )
                              auto-mode-alist))
;;;; I assume that all mutt tempfiles will be in /tmp

(defun my-mail-mode-hook ()
  (auto-fill-mode t)
  (flyspell-mode t)
  )
(add-hook 'mail-mode-hook 'my-mail-mode-hook)

--
Jonathan Billings

Anything cut to length will be too short.